• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I get fired...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rage_Xx

Hi all, what would happen if i sent out an email to all work staff with a document stating all staff's salaries?

Just throwing it out there..

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You'd probably get fired.

The NLRB gives you the right to discuss your own salary with others. It does not give you the right to make public the salaries of other employees without their permission.

And if you're in a position where you know other people's salaries because of your position, such as payroll or HR, you could count on being fired. You could count on being denied unemployment. You could count on your current employer telling prospective employers why you were fired, and yes, that is legal.

Rage_Xx

thanks for the reply cbs :D

what i meant was, what if i get fired, and in response i send out the email :D (This is all just hypothetical)

EDIT: is it a criminal offense? (yeah, I'm in IT :p)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not a criminal offense.

But don't discount the possibility that some angry employees could sue you civilly if they felt that they had suffered damages on account of it, and your employer would still be free to include that information in references.

eerelations

Yes, I've personally seen fired IT employees absolutely RUIN their future careers by doing petty childish stuff like this (usually the kind of stuff that got them fired in the first place).

I can understand why you'd want to get back at your former employer for firing you, but I'm curious about why you'd want to hurt all the other employees as well...it's not their fault your former employer fired you. Why do you want to expose them to embarassment and potential financial problems?

Rage_Xx

Thanks for the input eerelations,

Yeah I guess one does have to have a certain amount of self restraint when it comes to these types of issues.

Feeling a Famous Peter Parker quote coming up...

anyways, Thanks for your invaluable advice.

/Thread

Beth3

thanks for the reply cbs :D

what i meant was, what if i get fired, and in response i send out the email :D (This is all just hypothetical)

EDIT: is it a criminal offense? (yeah, I'm in IT :p)
You would probably never get a job again (except perhaps at a fast food place) once your employer reveals the reason for your termination when prospective employers call for a reference. If you do this, you will RUIN your career.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">