• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I give notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JamieGee

What is the name of your state? IL

Ok, this may be kinda odd but my mom wants to know. If she gives a month notice at her job (they are terminating her entire department at some point soon) but they tell her to leave now, will she still be entitled to her bonus that would be paid in 3 weeks and then unemployment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether she will be entitled to the bonus depends ENTIRELY on the terms of the bonus agreement.

She may or may not be entitled to unemployment for the notice period. Probably not, but only a representative of the IL UC board can say for certain. However, if she resigns, she will ONLY be entitled to unemployment for any period of time for which she gave notice and the employer declined to allow her to work IF THAT. She may well find out that she is not entitled to UC at all.

Show the written bonus agreement to Illinois counsel. (If there is no written bonus agreement, tell her to forget the idea of getting the bonus.) Contact the IL UC board as to the terms of unemployment eligibility.

J

JamieGee

Thanks for the reponse...one more question...

What if there is no bonus agreement?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there is no bonus agreement then she had better either wait till she has the bonus check already in her hand before she gives notice, or else just cross her fingers and hope, because without an agreement spelling out the terms under which she will and will not receive the bonus, it's entirely up to the good will of the company

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">