• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If you're fired, can the business owner keep your personal belongings???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kctjohnson

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My friend was recently fired from his job, which required him to stay behind a coffee kiosk for hours alone each day. When he joined the company, he was assigned to this kiosk that had an old CD player. My friend returned it to the store manager because the player was not working properly, and instead, borrowed his sister's CD player to place behind the counter to listen to music.
He's been working for this coffee house for just under 1 year and was fired. He admitted to having left his post from time to time to get lunch or run to the bank for a quick errand, but had also admitted that he might have taken too much time doing his tasks and leaving the cart too long, so he understood why he was fired. However, the business owner told him that he would not get his last paycheck until the next pay period, which would be almost a little over 2 weeks. I heard this, got upset, so I printed out a copy of the ARS code that clearly states that in Arizona, an employee must be given his/her last paycheck within 3 days of termination or by the next pay period, whichever is sooner. The business owner got upset and then accused my friend of not actually having worked for 10 hours that week prior to getting fired, which he did, and that his paycheck would not be as much as he expects (sadly they don't have time-cards at this coffee house).
Then, when my friend tried to get his sister's CD player from behind the counter, he was accused of stealing the original CD player. The manager would not vouch for having received the player because the business owner never liked my friend and the manager wanted to take the business owner's side. I now my friend to be an honest person so I got upset and went to the kiosk to talk to the owner. I told the owner that the CD player was not my friend's to give because it didn't belong to him. The owner then told me that he could have the CD player back but that they would take out of his last paycheck whatever it takes to buy a brand new CD player. At this point the owner claimed that the original CD player was her personal property.
Finally, my friend was very popular in the building where the kiosk was located. He is friendly, connects with the customers easily, and he made a lot of sales through this. I've talked to many people and they often say that they just buy coffee there because of him. The coffee was not particularly good, but people went to his cart to talk to him, and then bought coffee. Not all customers of course, but my friend was able to sell less-than-perfect coffee for this coffee house because he was liked. The owner fired him and on that very same day, sales dropped and was worse the next day. The owner then is threatening to ask security to make sure he doesn't come in to the building because he is "staining the good name" of the company. My friend has a lot of acquaintances in the building - some are even "after hours" friends... is it alright to have an ex-employee barred from a building? The ex-customers chose not to buy coffee there anymore because there was no reason to - not because they were told not to.

Can someone help my friend out? I work in this building so I would like to see him come by from time to time for lunch...

HomeGuru

kctjohnson said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

My friend was recently fired from his job, which required him to stay behind a coffee kiosk for hours alone each day. When he joined the company, he was assigned to this kiosk that had an old CD player. My friend returned it to the store manager because the player was not working properly, and instead, borrowed his sister's CD player to place behind the counter to listen to music.
He's been working for this coffee house for just under 1 year and was fired. He admitted to having left his post from time to time to get lunch or run to the bank for a quick errand, but had also admitted that he might have taken too much time doing his tasks and leaving the cart too long, so he understood why he was fired. However, the business owner told him that he would not get his last paycheck until the next pay period, which would be almost a little over 2 weeks. I heard this, got upset, so I printed out a copy of the ARS code that clearly states that in Arizona, an employee must be given his/her last paycheck within 3 days of termination or by the next pay period, whichever is sooner. The business owner got upset and then accused my friend of not actually having worked for 10 hours that week prior to getting fired, which he did, and that his paycheck would not be as much as he expects (sadly they don't have time-cards at this coffee house).
Then, when my friend tried to get his sister's CD player from behind the counter, he was accused of stealing the original CD player. The manager would not vouch for having received the player because the business owner never liked my friend and the manager wanted to take the business owner's side. I now my friend to be an honest person so I got upset and went to the kiosk to talk to the owner. I told the owner that the CD player was not my friend's to give because it didn't belong to him. The owner then told me that he could have the CD player back but that they would take out of his last paycheck whatever it takes to buy a brand new CD player. At this point the owner claimed that the original CD player was her personal property.
Finally, my friend was very popular in the building where the kiosk was located. He is friendly, connects with the customers easily, and he made a lot of sales through this. I've talked to many people and they often say that they just buy coffee there because of him. The coffee was not particularly good, but people went to his cart to talk to him, and then bought coffee. Not all customers of course, but my friend was able to sell less-than-perfect coffee for this coffee house because he was liked. The owner fired him and on that very same day, sales dropped and was worse the next day. The owner then is threatening to ask security to make sure he doesn't come in to the building because he is "staining the good name" of the company. My friend has a lot of acquaintances in the building - some are even "after hours" friends... is it alright to have an ex-employee barred from a building? The ex-customers chose not to buy coffee there anymore because there was no reason to - not because they were told not to.

Can someone help my friend out? I work in this building so I would like to see him come by from time to time for lunch...
**A: why not meet your friend at a different location?

kctjohnson

Home-Guru,

That hardly is the point though. We can always meet elsewhere, but as I said, he has other friends at this building. Also, he started a skin-care business and his friends are also clients now. And through word of mouth, his products are cisculating in the building and sometimes he has to come by to deliver the products. So basically, if the business owner has him banned, not only will he not see his friends, he won't see clients he met through his original friends. Right now, his little business is his only source of income and the coffee house owner wants to stop him from making any money at that building....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">