• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dfv

What is the name of your state?

Georgia

If you were given access to create and delete e-mail accounts for your company, and you quit, and subsequently delete your own e-mail account, is this illegal?

P

Pfaffing85690

If they were at company address then yes, they are NOT your e-mails. They belonged to the company.

D

dfv

This person deleted all of her e-mails before she quit. So her account was empty. She quit, then the next day, deleted her account entirely...

P

Pfaffing85690

O.K. while she was an employee she performed her duties.

Once she left what would have been done with her account?

In other words, is it worth the hassle?

D

dfv

This company is so unreal that unless you heard the whole story or lived it (as current and former employees have), you would probably find their practices unbelievable! They (one owner and his assistant anyway) are up in everyone's business, and spend a lot of time threatening people's jobs by demanding information (often that is none of their business), mentally abusing employees, and preying on the weak ones. They will lie, cheat, and steal to feed their power hunger and financial greed.

Let me give you just one example of how unethical they are:

This employee was not a contract employee. Never in the life of a job with this company do its employees ever sign any kind of confidentiality papers, non-compete contracts, etc. So she is/was an at-will employee.

She has been job hunting for months. I (a former employee, whom they hate, because I have won every legal battle against them thus far), heard of an opening at my new company and got her an interview. She was offered the job, and took it.

She quit at old company (no notice, and in my opinion, none deserved, as they had promised her a raise in December and still have not given it to her...last week she inquired about the raise, given the run-around, and responded with "I'll just pack my things and go now"). The owner had been interrogating all employees now, asking where she's going to work, when, etc. He is broadcasting that he's going to "investigate" my company, and "write them a letter informing them that (my friend) is a 'volatile' employee", etc. I can't wait for them to try!

Quite simply, they think they are above the law, and are just evil snakes.

So she deleted her e-mail account, because she did not want ANY e-mails sent from it with her name involved, as it is in no way beyond their characters to try to sabotage her in such a way. They honestly will stop at nothing.

So that's why...

Which leads me to ask...the example above is only one of many nasty, underhanded, unethical, and plain childish things this company does. Many are in agreement that they need to be reported to some government/legal authority, but the question is, whom? None of this is based on race, sex, religion, etc.... I just cannot figure out how this is just a matter of "it's not illegal if your boss is an ******* - you have the right to quit and find another job". They are mentally abusive, in a nutshell, and cause employees to fear for their jobs daily due to their mindgames. Any recommendations to that end, from a gov/leg standpoint?

Beth3

Company management being nasty, unethical, childish, and underhanded is not against the law and there are no government agencies that oversee whether employers are nice people. When you find yourself working for a lousy company, as an "at will" employee you has the right to move on to a better place - an option you and this co-worker both exercised.

You can let yourself be consumed by what a crappy place this was to work and what nasty people company ownership are (which will not serve you well), or you can move on. I suggest you do the latter.

If your co-worker deleting her e-mail account caused the employer any damages, they do have the right to pursue those damages through a civil claim (lawsuit) against her. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">