• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

romanholiday

This letter comes from Islamabad, Pakistan

Hi, just got to your site, and though my case is over three years old, I want to tell my story; maybe someone else can be spared the trauma I went through. I was employed by Mobilink, a Motorola subsidiary in Pakistan in 1994 as a manager. Things went well for three years, till the time I asked for a transfer from Sales to Human Resources. The General Manager HR, who was employed by the previous President, and who was hanging on by the skin of his teeth, probably felt threatened by my arrival. He manouevered a situation where he accused me of questioning his authoruty and not giving him his due respect. In short, I was fired in 20 minutes. No warning letter, no departmental enquiry, no appeal, just OUT.
Three years of hard work down the drain, plus a career derailed.
The sad part is that while the GM may have been a product of his previous job, where he was expected to take the owner's side, and trample workers' rights; I find it incredible that a company like Motorola, who says all the right things, cannot even hire the right person as HR manager. I even sent letters and faxes to the London and USA offices, but all I got was a call saying they could'nt do anything. Pathetic.
MNC's do what they want abroad, because they know they can get away with it. There ought to be a law requiring them to be fair with employees regardless of where they do business. I am sure this would have become a court case in the USA, but here they knew they could victimise me. Three years down the line, my career is still on hold, and I have no hope of appeal, or do I?
Please be careful when working for MNC's abroad. The presence of a well known brand name is no guarantee of fairness at work.
Is there anyone out there who can offer advice of how I can right this wrong? Please advise.
Karim Yusuf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">