• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Hiring Practices?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ae830

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was told by my employer that my position had been eliminated. What actually happened is that my employer hired another employee to fill my position. My replacement is someone who previously worked with our current President. I have always received good performance evaluations and had no indication that this would happen. I know that we are an at-will state but do I have any grounds for legal action since I was told the position was eliminated when it actually was not eliminated?

Beth3

"do I have any grounds for legal action since I was told the position was eliminated when it actually was not eliminated?" No. Even if that was a fabrication, you can't sue because they lied to you. If they wanted to let you go and replace you with someone the President preferred, they were free to do so. Nor did they have to give you the truthful reason - although it's possible that with the switch in personnel, they did restructure the job and add more or different duties, in which case saying YOUR position had been eliminated was fairly accurate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">