• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this illegal job termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vettefo

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I was as my job for 4.5 years, three years after I was told I had crohn's disease. I did my job well without any problems until I started getting ill. I was off work on short term disability and then denied longterm disability with Unumprovident. When my denial letter came in I was sent a letter saying I was being terminated because I exhausted all my benefits.
The case from my point of view is , my corporate policy says we can be off work on shorterm for 6 months,and them go to long term for three years if we are still under doctors care. I was denied my LTD without being sent to a doctor or anything. They stated I could still work. If they would have sent me to one of their physicains they would have known, but they were not willing accept a word from any of the physicians I went to. Unumprovident has many class action lawsuits against them for illegaly denying claim and Dateline has warned many people by doing a special on this. I did advise my job I would return to work even though my physician did not agree with it until I got better. I was then told I could not come back until my doctor released me. I did everything I could not to loose my job, but nothing worked.
So could this be illegal job termination

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless your state law specifically says otherwise, the longest an employer is required to hold your job while you are out on medical leave is 12 weeks. If you were on short term disability for twelve weeks or longer, then it is NOT illegal for them to terminate your employment, no matter how legitimate the need for further medical leave might be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">