• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Question to Ask at Interview?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user3744

I was hired by a 50-person company (owned by an individual) only to have him change his mind about the position one month later and lay me off. During the interview, the owner asked me, "Are you healthy?" I answered yes because I am. So, while I was not laid off due to an illness, should I pursue legal action on the owner for asking me that question during the interview?

Thanks.

Banned_Princess

I was hired by a 50-person company (owned by an individual) only to have him change his mind about the position one month later and lay me off. During the interview, the owner asked me, "Are you healthy?" I answered yes because I am. So, while I was not laid off due to an illness, should I pursue legal action on the owner for asking me that question during the interview?

Thanks.
Really, you want to sue him?

You want to sue him over a question? How are you going to prove he asked you that? Did it cost you the job?

And you can be laid off due to an illness.

How ridiculous, get over it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Asking if you are healthy is not, per se, illegal, although I agree it is walking the line.

There is a fine line between questions that are out and out illegal (of which there are very few) and using the answer to questions regarding protected characteristics to make employment decisions. For example, if an employer asks you what your national origin is, that is not technically illegal. It would be illegal if he used the answer to that question, to make the hiring decision. For that reason, a smart employer will not ask the question unless there is a bona fide occupational qualification for it, since if he doesn't ask the question, he can't be accused (rightly or wrongly) of using the information to make hiring decisions.

One of the very, very few questions that is outright illegal is, are you disabled? But the employer did not ask you that; he asked if you were healthy. And he did not make the hiring decision based on your answer, or lay you off because of it. Therefore, there would be very little point to your taking any kind of legal action because of it. You suffered no damages as a result of his asking the question - the suit would cost you more than you would get back in return.

user3744

Thanks for the useless response, Banned_Princess

Banned_Princess,

Your answer was not only ignorant and arrogant, but it shows a complete lack of compassion. Do you get off ****ting on people who come to this forum for help? Do you feel better about yourself? I hope so.

BTW, if we were face-to-face, would you have spoken to me that way? I'm guessing probably.

You are the one who is ridiculous. You should get over yourself. Feel free to reply to my post, but I won't be checking again. I have a very full life and don't need to waste time with little people who hide behind their keyboard and crap on people who are looking for help.

Have a great 2010!

ecmst12

You were given correct legal information by every person who answered you. And that is your response? Not to THANK the people that answered your question? Don't wonder if no one else wants to hire you, you seem to be an ungrateful twit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">