• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal or unethical or both?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

browntna

What is the name of your state? Indiana
When recently being called for an employment opportunity, I asked what positions were available. The response was that there were 4 "Full time- permanant" positions with benefits open. When I went for the interview I was told that I only qualified for one of the positions, but I would be guaranteed one of the other three upper level positions if I were to go through a training program. The jobs that were available were not even at the company that I was interviewing. I was told that student loans were available if I couldn't afford the cost.
I communicated that I was only interested in full time employment and asked if I was actually interviewing for a job. The employer assured me that I was qualified for the lower level position, but he wanted bigger things for me. Everytime I asked about the position he changed the subject to training. Eventually he told me that he would forward my resume to the employer that actually had the position available, but couldn't guarantee I would be contacted for it. I asked who the employer was and he said it was confidenial and could not release that information.

This was a sales pitch from start to finish. I lost wages at my current job. Is there anything illegal about my experience, or was it just unethical?

Thanks

Beth3

I don't see anything illegal about what took place. It certainly was odd though and perhaps unethical. I don't understand why one employer is advertising and interviewing for jobs that arent even with the same company, unless it's a subsidary organization.

Anyway, it sure sounds like you were wise to take a pass. The whole "student loan" thing is very peculiar just in and of itself.

Gadfly

Very strange. Are you sure you were interviewing with the employer? Was it possibly an agency?

browntna

The company I was interviewing with was a computer training company. They aren't an employment agency. They said they are able to help place their student at times. Prior to the interview and during the interview I specifically asked if there was an actual job that I was interviewing for and was told that I was. I'm not looking to get any money out of this I am just wondering if it is worth my time to talk to the better business beurea. Which by the way he made a point of mentioning to me at the beginning of the interview that they were an involved member of(the better buiness beurea).

I think i'm more angry at myself for not just getting up and walking out. I just hate to think that there are younger more inexperienced people that will get dupped by it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">