• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegally arrested, then fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dover120

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was wrongfully arrested the case was dismissed and the record was sealed. However i was terminated from my job of three years because of this arrest.

Do i have any recourse

Antigone*

I was wrongfully arrested the case was dismissed and the record was sealed. However i was terminated from my job of three years because of this arrest.

Do i have any recourse
In a word...Nope.

You Are Guilty

Do i have any recourse
Maybe? NY is one of the very few states that prohibit using arrest records in employment decisions in certain occupations, but we have no way of knowing if your situation falls into the protected category.

Go here and see what they have to say - it's free:
http://www.dhr.state.ny.us/how_to_file_a_complaint.html

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It also makes a difference whether you were fired because you were arrested, or because, during the time this all went down, you were unavailable for work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">