• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being rehired after layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waywardson1

What is the name of your state? California

I have been with the company for 8 years and was laid off last November. Yesterday, I received a call asking me to come back to work. I am curious about my original hire date. While they are offering my benefits immediately, I am concerned about my hire date. Are they required to honor my original hire date and total length of service or is my rehire date now, effectively, my hire date?

I would greatly appreciate any links that would help me anwer my question.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends on the benefit. For FMLA, they have to consider the time you were with them previously in calculating the 12 months of employment requirement, although you will have to work 1,250 hours before becoming eligible. For any 401k, pension or profit sharing plan or for health insurance, it will depend on what the plan document says. For vacation, sick leave, holidays etc. it's up to company policy.

All of the above assumes there is no contract that dictates the terms of bridging benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">