• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im employed but they wont let me work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seniorpt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachussetts

I have been working for this national co. for a year..part time...putting in 7-15 hrs a week. During tax time I would put in 20-30 hrs a week.This company took over my previous employer..whom I worked for and I did the same job for 10 years. Now after one year I have a new boss who is an efficiency expert. She wanted me to leave the company and become a permanent contractor. I refused this and now she is not letting me into work until she deems that she needs me. I get no benefits at this job. I believe she is downsizing and having other people do my work. Im ok with them
terminating me because of down sizing, but they are not saying anything and they are not letting me get my pay by not allowing me to work. If they terminated me I could file for unemployment and look for another part time job, but I dont know how the best way to approach her or the company?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachussetts

I have been working for this national co. for a year..part time...putting in 7-15 hrs a week. During tax time I would put in 20-30 hrs a week.This company took over my previous employer..whom I worked for and I did the same job for 10 years. Now after one year I have a new boss who is an efficiency expert. She wanted me to leave the company and become a permanent contractor. I refused this and now she is not letting me into work until she deems that she needs me. I get no benefits at this job. I believe she is downsizing and having other people do my work. Im ok with them
terminating me because of down sizing, but they are not saying anything and they are not letting me get my pay by not allowing me to work. If they terminated me I could file for unemployment and look for another part time job, but I dont know how the best way to approach her or the company?
Anytime you do not get any hours per week. file for unemployment. Why wouldn't you look for a full time job?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They don't have to terminate you. If you're not on the schedule and not earning anything you can apply for UI.

FYI, odd as it may seem to you or me, there is no requirement that an employer tell you that you are terminated. So don't wait to hear the magic words; you may have already been termed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">