• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm trying to get hired and am having problems.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ineedadvice254

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.

I used to work for the consulting side of a Big 5 accounting firm, PwC. The consulting business is now part of IBM. I would like to get copies of my performance reviews. Do I have a legal right to these documents?

Beth3

Pennsylvania law states that an employer shall permit an employee to review his or her persnnel file persuant to the employee's request.

Zephyr

Beth3 said:
Pennsylvania law states that an employer shall permit an employee to review his or her persnnel file persuant to the employee's request.

just to clarify- does that include former employees?

mlane58

From the Pennslyvania Inspection of Employment Records Law:

"Employee." Any person currently employed, laid off with reemployment rights or on leave of absence. The term "employee" shall not include applicants for employment or any other person. (Def. Amended Nov. 29, 1990, P.L. 596, No. 149)

Beth3

Have you ASKED the employer for copies of the reviews?

If you're looking to present copies to prospective employers as evidence of your past work performance, I can tell you that a hand-written copy is just not going to cut it. How would I know you hadn't made the whole thing up?

ineedadvice254

Absolutely. Let me explain.

I left abruptly due to health reasons. I should have asked for a leave of absence, but I wasn't sure what the problem was, so I decided to leave the stress behind to sort things out. It was not a terrible situation, I just resigned and that surprised a lot of people. I am now healthy.

I have contacted the former employer and actually had an unsuccessful interview with them. I have since been in contact with a manager who has gone to bat for me there again. However, I was given the "thumbs-down" by another manager who has a personal grudge against me (a long story, but it's a "he-she" thing). The thing is, this same female manager gave me an EXCELLENT review not long before I left. I want that review to show that she is basing her opinion on personal reasons, not professional. Also, other employers now wonder what happened, and it is a small world in my profession, so this woman, who is at a fairly high leve, can do me real damage by disparaging me, however unjustly. I just want to "clear" my name.

JETX

ineedadvice254 said:
The thing is, this same female manager gave me an EXCELLENT review not long before I left. I want that review to show that she is basing her opinion on personal reasons, not professional.
And of course, that apparent 'contradiction' means nothing... as people have the right to change their minds... based on new 'facts', recent 'discoveries', or simply because they want to.
What was a 'glowing recommendation' in writing... may later because a 'scathing referral'.

So, lets play your 'game'. Lets assume you now have that "EXCELLENT review" in hand. What will you do with it??
Potential employers don't want to see it... as it isn't relevant and just shows you are a 'problem employee'.
You can't use it in court to bring any legal action... as you have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">