• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The immature, problem causing professor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jad1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I work have worked 1 year at 3hrs/day = 15hrs/wk for this supervisor, WB. He graduated two yrs ago and since being employed here, he blames everyone for his mistakes. Once when another worker pointed out they followed his email, he said "I didn't write that". He seems to love to anger people by doing little and big things to get them going. Probably to take away from his inept doings, as he is always making mistakes and not showing up for meetings. Then he comes up with some lie. Sometimes I see he even suprises himself with the lies he spews out.

Background: Early on, WB asked me to let him know if he was doing things wrong or should do something differently (ie what/how other faculty do). After preparing and submitting 3 grants, WB asked me to email the gov to explain an error in one of the budgets that everyone missed. I email explaining he should be the one to contact the gov person to build a rappore with them. I explained only one person should always contact the gov person. He insisted this was wrong and I should email them. So, I asked another faculty and our OSP dept if I was correct in telling him this. They all agreeded with me. So I reiterated this to WB, knowing full well if he insisted I do it, then I should follow his directions. He reluctantly emailed them blaming me. I emailed him, and told him how he could have worded it so no one was to blame. He got really angry at me. Also, to get out the three grants, I was putting in 4 to 6 hrs OT ea night for 3wks, because WB was not helping. WB did not want me to charge him the OT. I did.

After that, I went to our dept HR person and our AO and told them it was really difficult to put in that much OT and how WB did not want me to put in the OT. I asked that the 4 of us get together and talk. The AO said that no matter what I did, administrators alway lose. So the AO spoke to WB. WB got angry with me and left for a trip to europe for a month. He refused to answer my emails so it was difficult to finish some of my work. This went on for a month and a half and continues to date.

Monday, WB approaced me and told me I was inefficient and insubordinate -because "I said 'NO' when he asked me to email the gov concerning the grant budget". He does not want me to work OT and feels I should be able to do a lot more work. I told him the 'scope' of my work does include a wide range of things, which I have no problem doing, but cannot be expected to do 8hrs or work in 3hrs. He said "I thought you would say that" and wants to have a meeting with the dept HR and AO, to which I agreed.

I then contacted our dept HR and the university HR persons and told them I had no problem in doing the work, but felt it was unreasonable to want me to do 8hrs in 3hrs. Both persons said nothing. They would not respond to that, but said it would be insubordination if I dd not do the work.

Questions:
1) Would it be insubordination if I did not complete all the work given in 3hrs? Would I have to work OT to get it done and not get paid?

2) If I was asked to do something illegal do I have to do it - ie pay for his personal item with a gov grant. I asked this question to one of the Univ. Ombudsperson and they told me I should not do that and then in the same breath they said I had to do what my supervisor said or it would be insubordination.

3) Can I request him to respond to my emails and expect him to actually act like a grown up and answer them? Do I have any recourse if he does not? When I told the AO he was not responding, the AO asked 'when did you last email him about this'. I said I emailed him 5 days ago. To this the AO said "it has only been 5 days". I said 'don't you think 5 days is enough time for a response', and the AO just repeated himself. I got the same response for the AO when I email WB to write his report to the gov for a grant he had so they would give him 2nd year funding. WB did not and they have not given us the funding. The AO blamed me and said I should have told WB. When I said I not only emailed him, but I told him personally, the AO just ignored me and said 'its up to me to remind him. HELP? Why am I getting all this double talk?

4) At least 5/6 times WB has come into my office grabbing his genitalia and rubbing his hand over it and making a scene. One day, I kind of laughed because it was so obvious and crude and he noticed of course. He did it once more the next week and I laughed again. He has not done it since. Is this not sexual harrassment?

rmet4nzkx

It sounds as if WB has problems with pragmatics. Does he has tenure?
If you enable your PM option I may have some suggestions but you may be fighting a losing battle if WB has tenure.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) I wouldn't consider it insubordination, but it's their opinion that counts. In any case, whatever you call it, they can fire you for not having the work done in three hours even if that's totally unreasonable.

2.) As far as I know you cannot be fired for refusing to do something illegal. Talk to your state DOL.

3.) You can request all you like but if he chooses not to, there's nothing you can do

4.) Yes, it is and if he does it again, report it to HR IMMEDIATELY. If they do not put a stop to it, complain to the EEOC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">