• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

imminent passage of Unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alegoric123

Ca.
My question is this;
Since this law extending UI benefits has passed the House and assuming it will pass the Senate, my state EDD has been slow in the past with the last two Federal extensions to send claim forms saying it takes time to do this that and the other and it says on their website that I DON'T NEED TO APPLY, that it will be filed automatically.
1)How do I protect myself so they (EDD) doesn't say I didn't apply? Are they telling the truth?
2)How should I actively make sure they get these claim forms out immediately, I have had no money since exhausting my last extension a month ago.
3)It is frustrating to wait when you think the State of Ca., is simply buying time to send the benefit money citing computer issues, too many people applying, not being able to reach them, etc.

mlane58

If you took the time to Google CA unemployment, it would have taken you straight to CA's unemployment site where it states that you must file online to be eligable.

alegoric123

Incorrect responses lacking knowledge

If there is someone that has personal experience with this I would appreciate a response that is "informed".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If there is someone that has personal experience with this I would appreciate a response that is "informed".
I have an excellent resource for you. Just follow the link below and all your questions shall be answered.

http://tinyurl.com/ycxltan

mlane58

I am very informed as I deal with unemployment on a daily basis. I gave you your answer, why don't you look it up instead of being lazy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am very informed as I deal with unemployment on a daily basis. I gave you your answer, why don't you look it up instead of being lazy.
Check out the link I posted...it is absolutely appropriate, but credit must go to you for it.

commentator

mlane, in my state, we actually do not want the people who think they are eligible for the next extension to file for it on line right now. Our system automatically, when their last extension is exhausted, sets them in a category of claimants that will be automatically contacted as soon as a new extension is set in place.

Accessing the state system again, or attempting to refile before the program is set up and you have been notified to do so will do nothing but clog things up, at least in the state systems I am familiar with.

Since this one has not yet made it through congress, it would be very premature to try to begin signing up for it yet, in my humble opinion. And from what I see on CA's sites, it appears they are on the same type system as most, where those who are "exhausted" at the present time are set up to be notified if and when the state receives the go-ahead on the new extension.

While the OP's personal situation may make it tough to get along without benefits, there is no mandate that they be paid the extensions in time to stave off personal bankruptcy. Unemployment is not a needs based program to provide income. It is not given out because you are low income, and there is no guarantee you will get more of it after you have exhausted all the state claim and the federal extensions. If they vote in another extension, that's extra assistance, but it is not an income support entitlement that you can sue for if you don't receive it fast enough.

When the bill becomes law (IF the bill becomes law) and the money arrives at the state, they will get the system set up to accept your application, and you can then sign up, I don't see a need to "prove" that you did try to sign up in a timely manner. Any time you attempt to breach the system, an electronic record is kept of this transaction. That said, why would it help you? You can't sign up until the program is in place.They are under federal mandate to get notifications out as soon as possible to those who may be qualified. This notification will give information about the correct procedure for filing for this extension.

There would be absolutely no advantage for the state, or gratification to the state workers if they held the money or did not pay the next extension (IF approved) in a timely manner. This is federal money, earmarked for only this program and this particular group of people.

How can you make sure you get contacted right away? Well, I'd keep up with the extension bill. I would stay informed about when it does pass. I would check the U.I. website in your state very frequently, and try to find someone in person to contact in the state system. Even if you do not receive your notice to file, you can still go on and file, as soon as the system is set up. You need to know when that is.

Yes, by the way, all the things they are citing, overwork, understaffing, too heavy work load, being unable to reach people, are VERY legitimate complaints. In the last year and a half, the workload in some states did not just double or triple or quadruple, it increased twelvefold! But they are still getting benefits paid.

Last edited:

alegoric123

Forget I asked

1. The bill is passing on Tuesday.
2. Thought I would get a straight answer to expedite a claim, sorry.
3. Already qualified and getting stuck with red tape, busy phones and people not in the "know".

I know more than you and that's how I know it's passing Tuesday, I just don't know the proto on who to communicate with to get these checks to the people.

commentator

And when it passes, do you know when it's coming to the states, which states its coming to, when you can file for it? What I told you is what I thought you were asking. Is there any way I can get signed up for this sooner? or "..actively make sure they get these forms out sooner?" Well, the only answer to that is, you can't. It will have to be processed, the system will have to be set up to receive the claims. If your state is one of those that qualifies.

Getting the next round of extensions is not like getting tickets to a concert. You can't camp in the parking lot and be first served. You don't accomplish anything or get extra credit by trying to sign up prematurely.

I maintain that there is someone somewhere in the system that you can contact by email or telephone who will be able to give you guidance about your particular state and when to go ahead and file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">