• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inappropriate hiring practices?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jcm

Nevada. I recently was brought in for an interview, along with two other candidates, for a position requiring an m.a. (posting required such) in my field. Before we came in, the administration decided to require a ph.d. (not listed on the job posting). They let the three of us interview in good faith while they knew none of us would get the position. Several days later I received a call telling me I did not get the position because I didn't have a ph.d. They reposted the position, requiring a ph.d., but the position doesn't require a ph.d. (the administration wants a title to list for accreditation, as recommended in a 1999 letter from the regional accreditation office). The position can be filled with an m.a. (Someone mentioned this practice was questionable FBOQ.) The administratoin did admit that they did not pay attention to the original posting; also, last year the same position went to an m.a., even though the administration wanted a ph.d. (their words); that candidate left. More details, of course, but I'm trying to be brief! While I know this practice is unethical, is it illegal? Should I seek a lawyer? Thanks for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">