• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

incorrect background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lajayco

Minnesota

I have been looking for work for several months and have applied to a multitude of companies. One company sent a letter to me last week indicating they did not hire me because they contracted a background investigating company to check out my record. This investigation company told my prospective employer that I pleaded guilty to 1st degree murder and armed robbery in a certain county in Florida. This is absolutely untrue. I did not live in Florida at the time of this case, which was 13 years ago. I also have not had so much as a parking ticket on my record for almost 20 years. I would like to know if legal action should be taken against the investigation company or against the Florida county, or both, and what exactly they should be sued for.

Beth3

Nothing, as far as I can see. Likely an honest error was made, perhaps on the part of the company who did the criminal records check or perhaps on the part of the county.

The very first thing you need to do is contact the county where the conviction record was obtained and try to figure out WHY this appears to be you. You don't want another background check to show the same eroneous information. If it were me, I'd also contact the company who performed the check, inform them of this huge error, and see what they advise

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">