• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect information in background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MrMuffalo

After signing an offer letter for employment, a background check on my education shows incorrect information. I graduated from a college 24 years ago(1976)in Business Administration of which I never used it to gain employment. For the last 20 years I have been an engineer in the computer field (having gone to computer school) and have never had need to use my degree except on resumes and employment applications. This last company had a background check come back showing I never graduated and the college reported me as only attending 3 years and in a different major. Since this is the first time in 24 years this has come up, I called the school to find out what was going on and they stated what they had on record is correct. The school's legal attorney also stated that is what is on record and I would have to prove otherwise. My problem is I have no records prior to 1983 as during 1981-1983, I was going through a divorce and my ex-wife destroyed all my personal possessions.
Therefore, the company I had signed on to has blocked my being hired due to conflict on information. The position I am applying for does not require a degree or even any college background, but the company needs to verify any information I put down on the application as being true. What recourse do I have against the company or the school?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">