• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect Time Sheet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Miguel Quintero

At my job I am regularly asked to fill out a time sheet for the upcoming two weeks, including overtime. It was brought to my attention that on a few occasions I did not do the overtime and was paid for it so I was asked to gather my things and sent home with pay yesterday 12/28/00 while the matter was further investigated. Can I be terminated for not adjusting my time sheet after handing it in or is that the responsibility of the management which monitors attendance and submits the time sheets to payroll?

crager34

come on now

If it was an honest mistake, tell them and you might be ok.

As far as your questions: The time sheet is their property which you are required to fill out correctly. AND yes you can be terminated, because that is theft.

Also, looks like they were monitoring the time sheet. They did ask you to leave pending the investigation, right?

M

Miguel Quintero

Thank you for the FYI

I understand that the timesheet is the company's property but am I liable for information submitted by me to them if it is done before the fact? In other words, I am asked to fill out a time sheet prior to the two weeks I actually work the days/hours. In each case I submitted proposed hours I would work including overtime. Is that theft if it is in fact submitted by me prior to actual days/hours worked? Please let me know. Today I was actually terminated as per their rationalization and conclusion after having explained that it was a misunderstanding perhaps by both parties involved.

[Edited by Miguel Quintero on 12-29-2000 at 07:28 PM]

crager34

OIC

Based on what you said, it's possible you would have a case for "wrongfull termination", but do you want to go back to work there? Looks like they are the one's being a bit dishonest. If, during your search for another job, tell them you left the old company due to their sporatic time reporting process, that often effected the outcome of your paycheck. You left on a bad note and it wouldn't surprise you if they said you were fired...but YOU left.

Remember Popeye's friend Whimpy? "I will galdly pay you tomorrow, for a hamburger today? Seems a bit unethicle on their part. My advice, if they paid you all that they owe you....add it to your experience file and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">