• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent Contractor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alishalove

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hi,

My friend was hired as an independent contractor for a very small five person business - an author and his wife. My friend's mother was sick and dying and since she was not eligible for FMLA or any other type of leave she initially took one week of her vacation time, so she could spend time with her dying mother. She gave her employer short notice that she would be using some of her vacation time. During that week her mother did not pass and hospice prolonged her mother's passing for the following week.

During the weekend before my friend was to report back to work she got really sick and was rushed the hospital. Stress related the doctor said. Needless to say she wasn't handling her mother's soon to be death very well. She discharged herself on Tuesday and a day later during that week her mother passed. She didn't call or inform her employer of her return or of her mothers passing. Yes, she should have called them but she was a mess and it was the last thing on her mind. She finally called her work after the funeral/wake on that weekend informing them of everything that happened and stating she'd like to come back and if not she understands their stance even though she had plenty of unused vacation time to use. She just failed to call them during that 2nd week.

Well she never got a returned call from her employer and she phoned them about three times. Is she eligible for unemployment? What are your thoughts? Also, she believes that she was misclassified as an independent contractor and should have been an employee. She did some research on this online and some of the questions she had answered YES to would automatically make her an employee vs. an independent contractor (she said). Things that were promised in her agreement (life insurance, IRA, bonus) were also never granted....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All she can do is apply for unemployment and see what the state says.

If she was correctly classified as an IC, she is not eligible. If she was incorrectly classified, then she might or might not be eligible. I would expect any employer to fight unemployment for an employee who did not call or contact them; it will be the decision of the state whether or not the circumstances justify it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">