• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent Contractor Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomzi

I'm in the state of VA and work as an independent contracting writer/editor. I have a contract agreement for editing and proofreading of reports for my client. I've been performing edits and rewrites for my clients reports since April 2005, but only recently have they stated dissatisfaction with my work. Now they claim that my work was done incorrectly and are going through their attorneys to reclaim money already paid to me. Does anyone know if this is lawful? Can you reclaim money paid out to your contractor because you felt they did it incorrectly? Also, this company still owes me money for my last invoice and now refuses to pay.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to all of your questions depends on what your contract says.

tomzi

Re:

My contract simply states "will perform editing and proofreading." There is no mention of money being reclaimed. Personally, I don't believe the have much validity to their threats; but, I wanted to hear what you all had to say. Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what I have to say is that I will not attempt to interprete a contract I have not read. Show it to an attorney and good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">