• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

independent contractor restricted from work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allee

I'm not sure if this is the proper category to post this, but it was the closest to my situation.

I've been working as an independent contractor doing live chat consulting. Basically I am registered through an internet company that allows me exposure to clients and provides a chat platform and processes payments in exchange for a percentage of my earnings.
A couple of weeks ago they restricted my account saying that I had violated their TOS, and that they would reactivate the account if I acknowledged that I had done so. I am not guilty of the violation of which they are accusing me.
They refuse to provide any evidence of my supposed violation or divulge any information other than that "they know" and they won't lift the restriction until I admit my wrongdoing. I've been emailing back and forth to no avail.
In the meantime, the restriction has caused me to lose several weeks of potential income because I cannot make myself available to clients or even respond to their email requests.
I find it curious that they won't provide proof. Yet, they are asking me to acknowledge/admit that I violated the TOS in order to have my account restriction lifted.
It seems underhanded and suspicious. Do I have any recourse here?

Thanks in advance.

eerelations

As an independent contractor, you are not covered by employment laws. As far as what you can do about your situation - it depends entirely on what your contract states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">