• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent work relationship - now they don't want to pay!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alina

I signed a contract in September committing myself to an independent working relationship as a teacher of a private program. In the contract it said that I would commit myself to July next year.
After starting work i found that the job description and reality were not identical and that I was frustrated for other reasons as well.

So, I voiced my wish to quit. The employer said he was sorry and I promised to stay until a replacement was found to make a smooth transition.

This was about 5 weeks ago. Now I hear that I will not get the deposit back for an instrument I borrowed from him for the job. Because of the "additional workload my terminating caused". I signed something saying I would get the deposit back after teaching was finished in July.

What are my rights?
Even though I signed I would stay till July - was it safe for me to quit?
Shouldn't any money withdrawal etc. have been discussed with me beforehand or at the point of quitting?

Thank you!
This is California.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">