• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indicating past emplyers on applications and background checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brian99

State: Michigan

I was about to apply for a new job. Here is my situation(I will make it brief and expalin my situation). I recently was let go from a temp service because there was some confusion and lack of communication between me and them. I called in sick one day, they never got my messsage, so they let me go. Anyways, I signed a form saying I voluntarily regisned which I was cool with, at least that looks better on my part.

I have another part time job now, the supervisors seem to like me so im really not worried about this job now.

Anyways now after I gave a rundown of my current situtiation. I was wondering if it would be advisable to omit the reference from the temp service on my application when I go to apply, and only put down the info from my current part time job.

Also, I know many companies do background checks into your past such as credit, criminal,etc. But I was wondering if they could do employment checks (i.e seeing all past employers listed whether or not supplied by me). If the temp service shows up on my employment record and its bad reference, is there a way I can get it off?

If needed, I can explain in depth. Thank you for your time.

L

loku

If the temp service offered you the form saying you voluntarily resigned, then they will most likely stand by that if they are requested to give references. However, if you fear they may give you a negative reference, then you are probably better off not listing them.

As a practical suggestion, you could go to the library and read a book about getting a new job. Many have suggested ways of counteracting a boss who gives bad references, such as giving the name of co-workers or others in supervisory positions.

As for the background check, what the employer can check on or how they can check depends on state law. In most states, they probably could do such a check, but they would be very unlikely to do so.

B

Brian99

One thing I would mention too if that would change things. I only had the temp service job for a week, but im sure any job of any time duration would show.

Another thing too would the information potential employers got about you depend on the information service they went throught (i.e 1800UsSearch, etc.).

Is there a way I can view what employers can find out about me and is there a way I can do a reference check myslef or hire somone to do it, just to find out. thanks.

R

rivulus

You can have a third party firm do a reference check on past employers. To locate the various ones,do a search in a search engine on "reference check". Most will charge $35-$40 per employer checked,so limit it to those that you suspect. Check out their Web sites to see which seems the best to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">