• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ineligible for rehire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stonymd

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I recently turned in my resignation, but only provide a week's notice. My employer informed me that as a result I was ineligible for rehire by company policy. He also informed me that if another company in the future called them for a reference, they would "have" to inform them that I was inelegible for rehire. Can they do that? I was always under the impression that they were not permitted to volunteer any information other than verification of dates of employment.

Your insight would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks... :confused:

Beth3

Yes, they can indicate you are ineligible for rehire.

An employer may also provide any factually accurate and honest information they wish to in a reference. The wide spread belief that employers can only provide dates of employment is false.

Beth3

There's a simple solution here though. In the future when you interview, inform the interviewer at the appropriate time that when they check your references, ABC Company informed you that you would be ineligible for hire because you did not give as much notice of your leaving as they would have liked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">