• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Info given out to public

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused in co

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I was fired a few months ago. I reside in a VERY small town. The other day a client of my former employer was speaking to someone at my current office and stated that when he was in my former office he was told that I had been fired. When he asked why my former employer told him that as an office manager, I was not relaying phone messages. Now, this is incorrect information, but be that as it may, was this action by my former employer legal? To me, in such a small town this could directly effect my reputation both in and out of the workplace.

Last edited:

Beth3

Hey - when you first posted, all your thread contained was the name of your State.

There aren't any laws that prohibit an employer from sharing the reason an employee was terminated. If an employer gives out false or negligent information and the employee is harmed by same, then you may have a claim for slander. You'll need to discuss that with an attorney though. At the present time, it does not appear that you have suffered any damages.

confused in co

Actually, this client of my former employer was a bit "anoying" to her and she would put off returning his phone calls as long as she could. So, it appears that she put off her not returning his calls on me.
A little background. I found out about Colorado's "at-will" employment policies the hard way. I was fired, for the first time in my life, after I had a wreck as a delivery person. I was let go at that point. Then, I was fired by this other individual. I didn't feel that I had done anything to deserve this termination, but knew I had no recourse, so I didn't even ask the reason for the termination. She had, however, told me that I had forgotten to remind her to check her voice mail. To my knowledge, I ALWAYS gave her every message that I took. Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">