• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Information from former employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awrandymoss

What is the name of your state?What can a former employer tell a potential employer about your history with them? This company is not listed as one of my references. I heard that the former employer can only confirm that you worked there and for a specified period of time.

My former employer told me that he would tell potential employers that I quit on bad terms and share his biased account of the situation.

Again, he is not my reference. Can he share that information? Can a potential employer use it? And what can I do if he already messed up my chances of getting a job?

What is the name of your state? Iowa

:eek:

pattytx

It is not true that an employer can only give dates of employment. It is strictly up to the company as to what information they release. Nor is it illegal to ask for more than that from a person you have not given as a reference. Although I would say that most careful employers would handle "reference checks" strictly through HR; if you did not put your supervisor as a reference, personally I would not ask for that person to give you a reference. But some employers will do so.

It may or may not be fair in your opinion, but based on your post, I didn't see anything illegal here.

Beth3

What can a former employer tell a potential employer about your history with them? Anything that is factually true or represents their honest opinion.

This company is not listed as one of my references. Employers are not limited to contacting only those individuals you provided as references.

I heard that the former employer can only confirm that you worked there and for a specified period of time. You heard wrong.

My former employer told me that he would tell potential employers that I quit on bad terms and share his biased account of the situation. He actually said he would share his "biased account"? I imagine you mean is that he has his version of what occurred and you have your own version and you'd rather nobody know the employer's version.

Again, he is not my reference. Can he share that information? Yes.

Can a potential employer use it? Yes.

And what can I do if he already messed up my chances of getting a job? Nothing unless you can prove that he lied or was negligent in any statements he made and that was the direct cause of your not finding new employment. Your employers are entitled to their opionions of your job performance, behavior, and the circumstances surrounding your separation and they are free to share those if they wish to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">