• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured and fired at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackswamp

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I really need some advice please. I was fired from my job two days after telling my immediate supervisor that my back was hurting. I had fallen 5 times at work because of slippery floors. My back didn't start hurting immediately, so I thought I was just a little bruised. The cause of my termination is supposedly for poor job performance, but that is so not true. I spoke to the owner of the company the day after I was fired and encouraged him to speak with my coworkers. Everyone was in shock when I was fired and I know they will vouch for me. I had spoken to the owner once before about my immediate supervisor. I complained about her constant references to sex and the male anatomy, about her stealing from the company, and about how slippery and dangerous the floors were. I told the owner that more people would come to him, but they were afraid of losing their jobs if they did. He assured me that I was in no danger of losing my job. He told me that he was going to have a meeting with all of the employees and address these issues. That never happened. In the meantime, my supervisor continued to demean me in front of other employees and customers, even yelling at me. She gave me all the undesirable jobs and shifts, making me do so much more than everyone else. She even stopped workers while they were in the middle of a task and told them to save it for me to do. I was never reprimanded for poor job performance or told I was doing things improperly or not doing enough. Sunday, my last full day at work, my supervisor told a coworker that she was going to make sure I was fired Monday. Within five minutes of clocking in Monday, I was told that I was fired because it "just wasn't working out." I asked for the reason(s) to be put in writing, so the manager, assistant manager(my boss), and a fellow coworker went into the office and wrote out some pretty flimsy reasons for my termination. To add insult, my immediate supervisor put a copy of those reasons in our department in a drawer that everyone has access to. I guess she wants everyone to read it. On a side note, I still have been unable to get my paychecks. At least fifteen people I worked with have told me not to let them get away with this. What can I do about it all? I have no clue where to start. I would appreciate any advice.

I would go to the unemployment office and file a claim today. I think you will win according to your story. If the employer has no written warnings of poor job performance or any proof that they tried to help you, I don't think they will win. Let the unemployment office know that you have unpaid wages and that will start the ball rolling for you.

Beth3

If you believe you were fired in retaliation for being injured at work, contact your State's Worker's Compensation Division and file a complaint.

If you believe you were fired in retaliation for complaining about your boss's sexual harassment, then contact your State's Department of Labor or the EEOC and file a complaint of prohibited discrimination.

If you have not received all the wages due you, then contact your State's Department of Labor and file a claim. (Informing the UC office that you are owed wages will not result in your receiving the pay you are due. They don't handle that.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">