• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured, working part time, doctor's note?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

covax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My wife works part time as a personal assistant (basically a nurses aide) and takes care of an elderly woman. Most of her just consists of walking, bending, cleaning both the house and the elderly woman and lifting her in and out of bed as she is mostly paralyzed.

Recently, my wife developed some cysts in a very uncomfortable place which not only causes extreme pain, but also makes it almost impossible for her to do her job without literally forcing herself to do it.

My question is this; if our family doctor gives her a note that she cannot work, is her "boss" (the elderly woman) legally able to fire her?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. Outside of FMLA, which does not apply in this case, a doctor's note carries no legal weight.

Hot Topic

So your wife is no longer able to do her job, but you expect the elderly woman to keep paying her as if she were, plus pay someone else to do what your wife is supposed to do?

There's something wrong with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">