• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insubordination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soulscout

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Is it insubordination if a supervisor ask you for your undivided attention and to look him in the eyes (essentially, I did not refuse my undivided attention, I just did not stop working and told him that I was paying attention. So, of course, he got all hot headed and said lets go talk, and said I was being defiant and that I was acting childish)?

Thanks, :confused:

justalayman

Yes and it does sound as if your were being immature.

Should we presume you got fired over this incident and maybe denied unemployment compensation?

soulscout

No, I did not get fired. And, I do not understand how not looking a supervisor in the eyes is considered insubordination. Is there a detailed description of what offences are defined as insubordination, such as a web link?

Thanks for your help,

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Esentially, insubordination is failing to follow a reasonable order that does not violate the law. You were told to look him in the eyes. You did not do so. That's insubordination, no matter how you slice it.

Petty on his part? Possibly. Insubordination on yours? You betcha.

Gadfly

When communicating one-on-one with another person it is acceptable to expect that the person look you in the eyes. That confirms to the other person that you are listening to them. Failure to do so is just plain rude and in the case of a subordinate (you) shows a lack of respect.

Have a nice future at your next employer.

roscoe706

expect these types of responses....

Most of the posters here are HR types who really contribute nothing to society and can't wait to take out their hostility on people who actually work for a living.

However, they are usually accurate about what legal recourses you have. Since you weren't fired, you are probably best served by letting it go. However, if you have an "in" with someone in senior management, you might want to play that card.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Most of the posters here are HR types who really contribute nothing to society and can't wait to take out their hostility on people who actually work for a living.

Roscoe, if you actually believe that, I would love to see you cope with just one day in the average HR office.

mlane58

roscoe706 said:

However, they are usually accurate about what legal recourses you have. Since you weren't fired, you are probably best served by letting it go. However, if you have an "in" with someone in senior management, you might want to play that card.
Yo Roscoe! On behalf of most (not all) HR Professionals when I say with the upmost sincerity--BITE ME! and we contribute a ton more than you would ever know or realize.

justalayman

mlane58 said:
Yo Roscoe! On behalf of most (not all) HR Professionals when I say with the upmost sincerity--BITE ME! and we contribute a ton more than you would ever know or realize.
mlane: does this constitute a hostile forum environment?:D is it actionable?

roscoe706

thanks for proving my point!

It took less than 20 minutes for the otherwise occupied HR types to chime in. I actually have a little experience in what you guys (Oh, no. was that sexist?) do.

>>>
Roscoe, if you actually believe that, I would love to see you cope with just one day in the average HR office.
>>>

Well that is the point, isn't it? Who would want to cope? What type of insane intellect would choose HR as a profession?

That having been said, I have a relative who has a rather lucrative business doing executive recruiting. But she is levels above the "average HR office".

mlane58

Well that is the point, isn't it? Who would want to cope? What type of insane intellect would choose HR as a profession?
Well I believe that you see as coping, but only a an individual with true intellect, stamina and a desire to grow with themselves and the organization are in this profession, which you certainly couldn't do----probably too lazy and stupid.
I have a relative who has a rather lucrative business doing executive recruiting. But she is levels above the "average HR office".
Thats your opinion and HEY guess what? who cares! I have done every aspect of recruiting to include executive level recruiting and decided years ago it wasn't challenging enough and needed to broaden my knowledge and horizons. Again, something you are not familar with and couldn't grasp!

roscoe706

mlane58 said:
Well I believe that you see as coping, but only a an individual with true intellect, stamina and a desire to grow with themselves and the organization are in this profession, which you certainly couldn't do----probably too lazy and stupid.
Well, I won't call you on the spelling, because I think I got the gist of your message. But I did use the term "coping" in response to another hr braniac. But "intellect, stamina and a desire to grow"? That is great. You should be doing stand up. But if that is what you aspire to, as in medioacrity, good for you.

mlane58 said:
Thats your opinion and HEY guess what? who cares! I have done every aspect of recruiting to include executive level recruiting and decided years ago it wasn't challenging enough and needed to broaden my knowledge and horizons. Again, something you are not familar with and couldn't grasp!
I grasp enough to know that you don't understand fee based recruiting. My relative that just sold her business for 8 figures would get a big chuckle out of your statement.

mlane58

I grasp enough to know that you don't understand fee based recruiting. My relative that just sold her business for 8 figures would get a big chuckle out of your statement.
There you go again, making assumptions---frankly not everyone is driven by money and I most certainly do understand fee based recruiting.
But "intellect, stamina and a desire to grow"? That is great. You should be doing stand up. But if that is what you aspire to, as in medioacrity, good for you.
You might think its funny DUFUS, but I just consider the source and it just shows your ignorance as to what Human Resources really entails. Oh Yea, I could care less if you call me on my spelling! What a Simpleton!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">