• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance after layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

red_dahilia

I have recently been layed-off from my job due to merger. I was shocked when my medical insurance was terminated that morning. I pay a co-pay each month for the coverage. When I left my last job I was cover for the month in which I left and then was offered COBRA. This company is not covering the rest of the month and I must purchase COBRA now if I want insurance. Is this legal?

L

lawrat

What Plans Are Not Subject to COBRA?

Small Employer Plans:
Small employer plans are entirely exempt from COBRA. If all employers maintaining the plan normally employed fewer than 20 employees on a typical business day during the preceding calendar year, the plan falls within the "small employer plan exception"
The Federal Government's Group Health Plan:
The Federal government's group health plan is not subject to COBRA. However, a separate law, the Federal Employees Health Benefits Amendments Act of 1988 requires the Federal government to offer its employees continuation coverage effective January 1, 1990.
Certain Church Plans
Certain church plans also are not subject to COBRA. The IRS has concluded that a plan for employees of an institute of higher learning under church auspices was a church plan, and that plan was accordingly not subject to COBRA.

http://www.cobrainsurance.com/COBRA_faqs.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">