• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

intent letter used to eliminate employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

outofluckinindy

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I work for a small non-profit school. I have been there for several years. I am a non-exempt employee paid by the hour.

Every year we are given intent letters to indicate whether we are returning for sure, not at all, or if we are uncertain. I think that these are really not appropriate for my classification since Indiana is an at-will state. Anyway, I marked mine that I was uncertain due to some possible changes in my husband's job. The letter that we sign CLEARLY states that we will have the first right of refusal for the position before it is offered to another candidate. One week after I signed my intent my boss calls me in and tells me that since I'm unsure that they have decided to "restructure" my department and I won't be back in that position next year even if I decide to stay. They offered me to take any open position within the school system but at a significant paycut and seriously reduced benefits. While I understand Indiana is an at will state, do I have a case because I have a letter with written terms guarnenteeing me the first right of refusal?

If I chose to stay within the school system I would work through June and then not have any work in July. I would then be told in August what "position" MIGHT become available to me.

Secondly, this employer misclassifed a large group of us as exempt for over ten years. We were paid very small salaries and worked tons of overtime, including evening meetings that we were not compensated for. Two years ago they realized their error and reclassified us as non-exempt. Do they owe us back overtime?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
do I have a case because I have a letter with written terms guarnenteeing me the first right of refusal? I doubt it. Your telling them you are unsure could easily be seen as your giving up that right. You can show the letter to a local attorney but unless the letter is written in such a way as to constitute a contract, it's quite doubtful.

Do they owe us back overtime? Quite possibly they did. However, if you were reclassified two years ago and have done nothing about it yet, it's entirely possible the SOL has tolled and you've forfeited your right to claim it. Check with the DOL but I'm pretty sure two years is the limit. Your state MIGHT offer a longer one so it's worth a call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">