• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internal job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjsjjba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
A job came up within my team for a senior level position (just above my current level position), I've been with the company for a long time and was told that my partner (who's been with us for a much shorter time) and I would be apart of the interviewing process. About a month after posting the job internally and know one wanted it, the company went external... I applied within weeks of the internal posting. I was never asked to be interviewed and I found out recently an offer has been made to someone externally and that my partner was part of the interview and I wasn't.
Is this legal and just time to move on?

ecmst12

Of course it's legal, apparently they don't think you are a good fit. Not everyone is management material.

OHRoadwarrior

Generally, when a company finds fault with you in your current capacity, they generally do not promote you to a higher level of incompetence. The only exception I am aware of is the now defunct GM (not the new company). The joke used to be they would promote you to your level of incompetence, then promote you into and empty office with a computer and no work, to get you out of the position.

swalsh411

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)who's
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)be apart
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)know one
Maybe they considered grammer and spelling as part of the evaluation process and decided you didn't cut it.

There are often very good reasons for wanted to hire an external candidate, namely someone to bring a fresh perspective. Sometimes people who have been in an organization for a long time develop a very inbred thought process and new ideas are needed.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Maybe they considered grammer and spelling as part of the evaluation process and decided you didn't cut it.
Ironic post is ironic. :)

To the OP, the short answer is that it's perfectly legal not to consider internal candidates. They may believe you not to be qualified for any number of reasons. I've also seen organizations that have a culture of "the grass is always greener", where people they don't know somehow are smarter and better qualified than the person under their nose. Not necessarily great business, but again, legal.

jjsjjba

hmmm good point

There are often very good reasons for wanted to hire an external candidate, namely someone to bring a fresh perspective. Sometimes people who have been in an organization for a long time develop a very inbred thought process and new ideas are needed.
And what does "reasons for wanted to hire an....." mean?

jjsjjba

Still fighting

And I would have thought you realized you needed to move on after your thread 2 months ago.
Just because someone doesn't like you on the team doesn't mean your kids don't need to eat or bills stop coming in... 2 months isn't long, considering the time I've put in.... I am working on it and you never know, I might just be still saying "Not fired yet" 13 years from now:)

OHRoadwarrior

Just because someone doesn't like you on the team doesn't mean your kids don't need to eat or bills stop coming in... 2 months isn't long, considering the time I've put in.... I am working on it and you never know, I might just be still saying "Not fired yet" 13 years from now:)

Please do not confuse "not fired yet" with "never promoted yet".

ecmst12

In almost every case, you can advance your career and increase your salary faster by changing employers than you can by staying at the same place for years. The reasons to stay at the same company for a long time is if you are happy there, well treated, feel valued, have good benefits and/or nice perks, and get promotions or salary increases enough to have your standard of living on at least a gentle upward slope. "Not fired yet" is hardly a career goal, and you are not happy in your current organization, they don't treat you well or make you feel like a valued employee, so objectively speaking, you have no reason to stay. "Not fired yet" means that you get to keep drawing a paycheck while you look for something better - so get to looking! Don't let yourself get too comfortable with the status quo when you can do better.

jjsjjba

In almost every case, you can advance your career and increase your salary faster by changing employers than you can by staying at the same place for years. The reasons to stay at the same company for a long time is if you are happy there, well treated, feel valued, have good benefits and/or nice perks, and get promotions or salary increases enough to have your standard of living on at least a gentle upward slope. "Not fired yet" is hardly a career goal, and you are not happy in your current organization, they don't treat you well or make you feel like a valued employee, so objectively speaking, you have no reason to stay. "Not fired yet" means that you get to keep drawing a paycheck while you look for something better - so get to looking! Don't let yourself get too comfortable with the status quo when you can do better.
I got off my butt (after working from home for 13yrs) and got a new job with more money and "Senior" in the title. Thanks a bunch for the words of encouragement!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">