• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Newt

I am a computer programmer who has been contracting (through a recruiting agency) for a company here in colorado. That is, the company pays the recruiting agency. I am employed by and get paid by the recruiting agency on an hourly basis.

All throughout my time at the company, I've been told that a) my work is good and b) it has been done in a timely fashion. The problem arose last week when I was accused by my manager of abusing my internet privileges. Even druing the meeting when I was being accused of this, they said they did not want to fire me because my work is good and I have good knowledge of the company business. Their complaint is that they think that I could have gotten more work done.

Now they are looking to have my hourly rate reduced (not ok with me) and have me not use the internet (which is fine with me). I'm so offended by this accusation that I'm inclined to quit. My question is .... Can they sue me or my agency for what they see as abuse of the internet? Can my agency sue me for this?

Thanks for the advice.

N

Newt

discussion

We did discuss the accusation at length. They (my boss and the manager of finance) said that they have been "screwed" and my boss stated that he would like to "throw me up against a wall and beat the crap out of me." I conceded that there were times I was on the internet when I should not have been, but also conceded that I took personal phone calls at work and chatted with my office mate about non-work matters. I told them that I did not think I had 'screwed' them.

N

Newt

I guess the main questions I have are:

1) assuming the worst possiblity is true (which it isn't) would they be likely to sue me condering they concede I've provided them considerable benefit and work and that I've only earned around $60K from them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">