• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sub602

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az
So, I went to an interview a couple weeks ago for a title iv fa position at a beauty school. It was a group interview held by two women from the school's payroll dept. There were six candidates in the group I was in...five females and me. The lady who was in charge of the group interview, about midway through the interview, stated "the girl they were going to hire would start soon". So embarrassing. It hurt, too, considering I'm trying my best to be a good interview. I smiled and tried to ignore it. Later she stated, "the girl we hire to replace the girl who's leaving...". Ok, I got the message. I wasn't getting the job. Anyway, I was upset for a couple days and considered filing an eeoc complaint. I didn't do it. It's been a couple weeks now and I'm pretty much over it. Well, at least I'm not upset about it anymore. Probably more confused about it than anything else. But, should I do it to at least make the company's higher ups know of the issue? If it's even an issue?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az
So, I went to an interview a couple weeks ago for a title iv fa position at a beauty school. It was a group interview held by two women from the school's payroll dept. There were six candidates in the group I was in...five females and me. The lady who was in charge of the group interview, about midway through the interview, stated "the girl they were going to hire would start soon". So embarrassing. It hurt, too, considering I'm trying my best to be a good interview. I smiled and tried to ignore it. Later she stated, "the girl we hire to replace the girl who's leaving...". Ok, I got the message. I wasn't getting the job. Anyway, I was upset for a couple days and considered filing an eeoc complaint. I didn't do it. It's been a couple weeks now and I'm pretty much over it. Well, at least I'm not upset about it anymore. Probably more confused about it than anything else. But, should I do it to at least make the company's higher ups know of the issue? If it's even an issue?
Should we assume you are male? If so, and you didn't get the job, let the company's higher ups know of the issue. it is an issue. You could also make a complaint with EEOC.

Sub602

Should we assume you are male? If so, and you didn't get the job, let the company's higher ups know of the issue. it is an issue. You could also make a complaint with EEOC.

Thank you for the response.

My apologies, yes, I am male. I was advised, by the interviewers, that the position would be filled within a week of the interview and it's been a little over two weeks. Actually, now that I've looked at a calender, it's been almost three weeks since the interview. I never heard back from the school, so I assume the position has been filled.

mmmagique

Next time check back a few days before the day the interviewer says they will have made the decision. Just let them know that you're still interested in the position and ask if they've made any decisions yet. Good luck in your job search!

Sub602

Next time check back a few days before the day the interviewer says they will have made the decision. Just let them know that you're still interested in the position and ask if they've made any decisions yet. Good luck in your job search!

Thanks. Apparently, I'm going to need a lot.

I understand that calling back to check on the status of their decision is the usual protocol, but how would doing that have helped me in this situation? Did I create problems for myself by not calling back?

Honestly, I felt too belittled to even attempt that. I wanted to run for the doors as soon as the interview was over. It took everything I had in me to stay professional and thank them for their time and say good-bye. And even when I did that, the lady who was in charge of the interview didn't even look at me or acknowledge me in any way. Only her assistant said good-bye to me.

mmmagique

They were jerks for sure. And possibly discriminated against you illegally. (which may be difficult if not impossible to prove)

You never know if a phone call will give people a little nudge in the right direction, so I can't tell you if it would or would not have helped in this case. I was just throwing that out there for future reference. Just stay professional and stick to the game plan no matter how difficult people are. You'll get there.

Sub602

Yeah, the interviewer sure had no problems demeaning me in front of the group. I understand proving any type of illegal discrimination is basically impossible as all she needs to do is deny any wrongdoing and it's over. That's one of several reasons why I haven't filed any type of complaint. Why waste my time when she won't even get a slap on the hand?

Well, I guess I'm done venting and I guess I've made up my mind. I won't be filing any complaints. Thanks for helping me sort things out in my head. And thanks for the input, everyone.

Just Blue

Yeah, the interviewer sure had no problems demeaning me in front of the group. I understand proving any type of illegal discrimination is basically impossible as all she needs to do is deny any wrongdoing and it's over. That's one of several reasons why I haven't filed any type of complaint. Why waste my time when she won't even get a slap on the hand?

Well, I guess I'm done venting and I guess I've made up my mind. I won't be filing any complaints. Thanks for helping me sort things out in my head. And thanks for the input, everyone.
What an intelligent and charming post. I am not "allowed" to give 2 likes...But I can post an extra!!:):):cool:

Good luck to you !!

Blue

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I agree that you may well have a valid EEOC complaint, I see a potential issue with the claim as well. In a group with the make up yours did, there were five chances out of six that the successful candidate was going to be female. While she most certainly should have referred to the "candidate" who got the job instead of the "girl" who got the job, it would be hard to prove that she wasn't just playing the odds with her statement, and with so many more female candidates than male candidates, hiring a female does not prove that a male was not hired BECAUSE he is male.

I see that you've decided not to file a complaint. That's of course your decision and I can understand why you made it. I might well have made the same decision in your shoes. But if there's a higher up manager or owner, I would not rule out bringing the matter to his or her attention. At the very least these recruiters need more training, even if the wording was simply unfortunate and made innocently.

Sub602

While I agree that you may well have a valid EEOC complaint, I see a potential issue with the claim as well. In a group with the make up yours did, there were five chances out of six that the successful candidate was going to be female. While she most certainly should have referred to the "candidate" who got the job instead of the "girl" who got the job, it would be hard to prove that she wasn't just playing the odds with her statement, and with so many more female candidates than male candidates, hiring a female does not prove that a male was not hired BECAUSE he is male.

I see that you've decided not to file a complaint. That's of course your decision and I can understand why you made it. I might well have made the same decision in your shoes. But if there's a higher up manager or owner, I would not rule out bringing the matter to his or her attention. At the very least these recruiters need more training, even if the wording was simply unfortunate and made innocently.
Yes, the "playing the odds" and "innocent miswording" explanations are just two more of the several reasons I have to not file a complaint. And I agree someone is in dire need of ethics training or at least a refresher course. Thanks for your input, cbg. :)

I actually feel sad for the assistant interviewer. As she was saying good-bye to me, I could see the guilt and shame in her eyes. The torture she must go through working for a person like that. I don't think I could do it. Anyway, let me stop now. Thanks again, everyone!

Heir7

By not at least complaining about it, she got away with it, learned nothing from it, and she will be more likely to do it again to someone else like you in the future.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Which is why I suggested reporting it to her higher ups, even if he doesn't want to file a formal complaint.

Sub602

By not at least complaining about it, she got away with it, learned nothing from it, and she will be more likely to do it again to someone else like you in the future.

Wow, this sounds exactly like something I would say to one of my friends if they were in my situation. You changed my mind. I will be filing a complaint. Thank you, Heir7. I needed to hear that.

Which is why I suggested reporting it to her higher ups, even if he doesn't want to file a formal complaint.
Since this is a smaller family owned business, I'm afraid sending a complaint to a manager or the owners will not have much impact. So, I have printed out the necessary forms to file a formal complaint with EEOC. Unless anyone objects to this idea or has a better suggestion, consider it done.

Complaint for what? you have no grounds. I can not tell you how many times I have been called to interviews where they already had the position filled. Be it for them wanting to show some compliance or HR requirement. You never know when a yahoo is using you for something or not. It has not discouraged me, take the good and take the bad and eventually you will find the right role for you. It is a business, it is their money and they have the right to spend it however they see fit. It is nothing personal and if it takes you 100 more interviews to find a job that is probably better than the one you are wanting to file an eeoc complaint over then so be it. It all comes out in the end.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">