• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interview and asking illegal questions...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dbarnes

What is the name of your state? Texas

Is it illegal for a potential employer to ask me if I am planning on having another baby? I was extremely surprised they even asked that.

Thank you,

D. Barnes

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dbarnes said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Is it illegal for a potential employer to ask me if I am planning on having another baby? I was extremely surprised they even asked that.

Thank you,

D. Barnes

My response:

No.

IAAL

R

Ramoth

But it is illegal for them to make hiring decisions based on your answer to the question.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an FYI, dbarnes, the ONLY questions that are outright forbidden by law (some states may modify this slightly) are questions that refer to a disability and in most states to any previous workers comp claims.

Many questions that the general public assume are illegal are, in fact, not. The question you reference is an example.

It is, however, as Ramoth and IAAL point out, illegal for them to make a hiring decision based on the answer to that question. For that reason, most employers don't ask it. (If you don't ask the question, you can't be accused of using the answer illegally.) It is NOT, however, illegal to ask it as long as they disregard the answer in making employment decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">