• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interview flight fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ethyl808

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

Hello I'm not sure if I am posting in the right forum for this please contact me if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

I recently flew to Illinois at the request of an HR company for an interview. The interview was for a Japanese company who hired the HR company to find likely candidates for the job.

Before going on the trip I signed a form which looked like this:
I,____, have requested that HR find placement for me. By undertaking this responsibility, HR and/or its client may expend time, effort and money processing my application. Accordingly, HR and the client to which I may become employed would like to be assured that their efforts and money expended on my behalf will result in a productive business relationship for all concerned.
In the event that I accept any form of travel assistance from HR and/or its client where funds would be expended on my behalf, and then I cancel my travel plans and/or the interview for any reason, I agree to reimburse HR for the full amount of funds expended on my behalf.
I understand that HR will not proceed with placement efforts on my behalf if I fail to sign this Agreement.

I went on the trip and after I got back got an offer from the Japanese company. Due to personal issues I ended up not taking the job and now the HR company wants me to pay for the trip.

Are there any legal actions the company could take against me to force me to pay?

I would appreciate any advice youmight have on this matter, thank you for your time and consideration.

Beth3

Are there any legal actions the company could take against me to force me to pay? I don't see how. The agreement you signed didn't say anything about your being responsible for travel costs in the event they made you an offer and you turned it down.

ethyl808

thank you

Thank you Beth3 for your help and advice. I am relieved to know that the HR company does not have a case against me because of the document I signed. I do not like the implied negative pressure they have been putting on me.

Thank you again for your time and consideration, ethyl808

Beth3

If by "HR company" you mean a contingency placement firm or an executive search firm, I wouldn't work with them again if I were you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">