• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interview process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hhh333

What is the name of your state? illinios
I posted for an assistant management position for the company that I currently work for. I have never been interviewed for a position with this company. My current manager stated that s/he wanted to talk to me about the position. S/he stated that I had the computer skills, people skills, but wasn't sure if I had the management skills necessary for the job. S/he assumed all of this without seeing an application, resume, transcript or giving me an interview. Therefore S/he offered me a lower position to see if I could do the job first for 60 days at a rate much lower than an assistant manager would receive and said if I am a fit for the position s/he would take it from there. I was the only one who posted for the position. I have a bs in business and information systems and graduated with honors.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hhh333 said:
What is the name of your state? illinios
I posted for an assistant management position for the company that I currently work for. I have never been interviewed for a position with this company. My current manager stated that s/he wanted to talk to me about the position. S/he stated that I had the computer skills, people skills, but wasn't sure if I had the management skills necessary for the job. S/he assumed all of this without seeing an application, resume, transcript or giving me an interview. Therefore S/he offered me a lower position to see if I could do the job first for 60 days at a rate much lower than an assistant manager would receive and said if I am a fit for the position s/he would take it from there. I was the only one who posted for the position. I have a bs in business and information systems and graduated with honors.

My response:

Annnnnnnnnd? Was there a legal question in there somewhere?

IAAL

H

hhh333

my question is can s/he make a hiring decision based on not knowing if I was qualified for the job and just making false assumptions that I am a people person, have good computer skills, but was not sure if I had any management skills. This person nor has any other person have ever seen a resume of mine, an application, a transcript, or have I told them anything about my academic or work background. I feel s/he did not properly give me a fair interview to describe my qualifications as were defined by the job posting they had placed.

H

hexeliebe

Welcome to the REAL world. She can make a hiring decision based on what she had for breakfast that morning, how high her pantyhose are riding up her rearend or on the color of your tie if she likes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You said that this position is with the company where you currently work. That means you have a personnel file, and people who know you. What makes you think she hasn't seen the former and talked to the latter? Just because you didn't give her a resume, fill out an application or get interviewed for the new position does NOT mean that she has no information about you.

H

hhh333

I found out otherwise today. They have to make decisions based on my qualifications.....not on what they assume is true. This was a policy made and signed by the ceo of the company.

mykoleary

hhh333 said:
I found out otherwise today. They have to make decisions based on my qualifications.....not on what they assume is true. This was a policy made and signed by the ceo of the company.
That's what she did.

You state your qulifications and that she wasn't sure if you had management skills requisite for the job, yet you never mentioned when, where, and how extensive your management skills were.

My guess is that what you got in college is not enough for the position. The fact that you were the only applicant means nothing.

Be happy they gave you the chance to prove yourself, even at less pay. Shine like the sun and make them believe in you instead of being remorseful and grumpy.

H

hexeliebe

And on a legal basis that is bullcrap. The company simply has a policy to follow and this person must follow it. There is nothing in the law that demands she do so however.

And since you came to a LEGAL forum for LEGAL advice, that's exactly what you got. LEGAL advice.

Beth3

"They have to make decisions based on my qualifications.....not on what they assume is true. This was a policy made and signed by the ceo of the company."

You're not getting how this works. The employer makes a decision on what they assume is true about your qualifications. They may properly make the assumption that you are not management material or not yet ready for a promotion despite your MBA. Your degrees alone are not enough to qualify you for ANY position.

The fact that you believe your diplomas alone makes you qualified for the job and that you are doggedly sticking to that position strongly suggests your employer has properly assess the situation and made the correct decision.

H

hhh333

two years ago I interviewed and I was hired for the position after graduation, but turned down the offer. Now after working for the company for 8 months I am not qualified?

mykoleary

hhh333 said:
two years ago I interviewed and I was hired for the position after graduation, but turned down the offer. Now after working for the company for 8 months I am not qualified?
Yep, they've had 8 months to see the mistake they would have made had you accepted the offer then...

H

hhh333

I get a kick out of you people who get so fired up over made up stories and waste your time doing nothing but giving FREE advice.....because you can't get paid.

Beth3

"I get a kick out of you people who get so fired up over made up stories and waste your time doing nothing but giving FREE advice....."

We're wasting OUR time but you're the one with the time to make up stories to post??? I think that says it all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">