• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interviewing in termination period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuesera

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
I was laid off from my company, but I am on their payroll for 1 month more.
I am looking for jobs and interviewing.
Since I am technically on payroll of current company, do I have to disclose the fact that I am laid off to the new company that would be hiring me?
They asked me why I wanted to leave and I said that I was looking for better opportunities.
Is there any way they can find out that I have been laidoff later on?

Rgds
CS

pattytx

Why would you not want a prospective employer to know you have been laid off? There is no shame in that. It happens all the time. As a matter of fact, it is much better than having to tell a prospective employer that you were fired. And some prospective employers (although not all, by any means) might worry that if you are "looking for other opportunities" now, you might continue to look if they were to hire you.

Tell the truth. It is very likely that a prospective employer will check with this company and if you lied on your application as to the reason for your termination of employment, they may refuse to hire you strictly because of that. In my opinion, the truth in your situation is actually the lesser of all the evils.

Good luck in your job search.

Last edited:

cuesera

The difference is that if they know you've been laid off - they try to offer a lower salary, lower job title etc.

I did not technically "lie" in the interview - I was on the payroll of the previous company on the day of the interview - and for another two weeks.
Once I get an offer letter I can tell them later that I got laid off - if such a need arises - or maybe not.

Is there legally a way for the new compnay to find out that I got laid off?

Rgds
CS

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agree 100% with Patty. Being laid off through no fault of your own is not anything to be ashamed of. It is not a black mark on your record. But lying about the reason you are looking for a new job is something that is much too easily caught (virtually every employer asks in a reference check the reason an employee left) and THAT, not being laid off, is what will keep you from getting hired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are absolutely mistaken that employers offer lower salaries, titles, etc.to applicants who have been laid off. There is no truth whatsoever to that.

Yes, there is a way for a prospective employer to find out you were laid off. They are going to call your old employer for a reference check and the old employer is going to tell them. Which is perfectly legal.

cuesera

So anyway what I have done is done, what do I do next - they are in the process of reference checks (which does not include my current organisation).
And I am very interested in this offer - as it is in the direction of my growth.
Do I call them up and tell them I had been laid off?
Do I wait for them to come with an offer and then tell them?

What would be the best way to handle this now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">