• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interviews and Reference Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phyllialobster1

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have a rather unstable work history, five jobs since 1991, and I am not sure how to discuss it with potential employers without sounding as if I am a job hopper or a problem employee. I know it’s difficult to do a proper reference check because two of the jobs are no longer in business and one gives out employment dates only.

Here’s a breakdown:

2005 Terminated-personality conflicts (three months)
2001-2005 Left on own—environment promoted too much favoritism
1999-2001 Laid off due to company merger (Letter of recommendation); no longer in business
1997-1999 Left on own—no raises or promotions (Team Player Award)
1994-1998 Homeless--rescue mission that offers a Biblical training program (Diploma)
1991-1994 Laid off due to Northridge earthquake (Letter of Recommendation) ; no longer in business

During an interview, I say that the last job was “not a good fit” and the previous job is not set up for employees to “move up the corporate ladder,” so I am looking for newer challenges. After all references have been contacted, I am always asked to give more exact details about what happened on the last job.

I tell them the truth. No matter what I did, it was wrong: filing, fixing a jam on the copier, ordering supplies, answering the phones, cleaning their storeroom and hallway, etc. Negotiating an extra dollar on my start pay and then getting a dollar more a week later from the owner caused conflict with the other employees.

I was hired to be their receptionist. I was later told that I should not answer the phones because I was too new and that the previous receptionist still wanted to answer the phones. I was not given a workstation (I had to share a desk with another employee until she came in). I ended up at a desk in their storeroom isolated from the other employees. A few weeks before I was terminated, I was finally set up with a computer and my own desk.

Anything I said would purposely be misconstrued as though I didn’t want to work. For example, I asked if I could print a large “job” on the copier. When I went to pick up my work, I noticed that the copier had jammed. I tried to fix it, but couldn’t and suggested a technician because I didn’t want to break it. They insisted that I should be the one to fix it. I explained to the other employees that the jam occurred after my print “job” and that the current “job” on the copier was not mine, but I would try to fix the jam anyway. The next day, it was turned around that I was telling everyone that it was not my job to fix the copier at all.

It got to the point that I said I would get a tape recorder to prove that I was not the one creating a tense atmosphere, which led to me being fired by the owner. All the other employees are either relatives/friends/neighbors of the owner..

When I tell the employer/recruiter these things, I hear the tone in their voice change. They say that they will contact me back but they never do.

Why is it necessary to tell potential employers/recruiters all of the sordid details that happened at that job if it is going to scare them? How much information is necessary to give out? I want to move on, but this job seems to be putting a clamp on any prospects I may get. Any suggestions on what I can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The problem you are having, and I admit it's not an easy one to resolve, is that when you are explaining this it comes across that you are bad-mouthing your previous employer, which is an absolute no-no. I can tell you this with a high degree of certainty, since that's how it came across when you posted it.

You need to find a way of spinning it so that you tell the truth, but not in a way that puts your employer in a bad light. You don't need to go into all that detail; you need to find a way to downplay the specifics so that you get the idea across that it was only a personality conflict, without coming across like a chronic complainer who's going to give them a hard time every time they ask you to do something.

THAT is what's killing you.

Maybe when the coffee kicks in I'll have some possible spins for you, or maybe Beth will.

longneck

how about this for spin: after working there for a couple weeks, you realized that your new job responsibilities were way outside your previous experience. you did your best to learn, but your employer terminated you before your could adapt.

phyllialobster1

The responsibilities were the same as my previous positions: basic general office/clerical background. Filing, faxing, copying, etc. Anyone can do these jobs. And I did, for three months. The usual ninety-day probation period.

I am not very good at articulating myself and I want to be able to communicate to potential employers properly that even though this job didn't work out, I did try my best.

I don't even know how to tell the truth without it sounding like I am bad mouthing the employer. They insist for details. What should I tell them?

I know I was probably no rose garden either, but I don't want to sound as though it was only my fault and that I am a problem employee. It was a 50-50 situation.

I thought by just saying "personality conflicts," “different goals,” or "not a good fit" would be enough information for employers to understand. Apparently, it is not.

I do like the part about 'you did your best to learn, but your employer terminated you before your could adapt.'

Thanks for the help.

Sockeye

What about "it was a newly created position that wasn't clearly defined and the office had difficulty with the transition. This created some confusion on my part, and with the company."

That's what I read into p'lobster's post.

pattytx

That's not so terribly bad. I've had five jobs myself in the last 5.5 years:

9 mos-quit
6 mos new position eliminated after 9/11
20 mos new position eliminated after HRIS conversion completed
11 mos new position, exactly as Sockeye said
now have the most prestigious job I've ever had making the most money I've ever made.

So, just goes to show ya that what looks bad on paper may not be as bad as it looks.

Good luck.

phyllialobster1

Thanks for all of the help. I had a preliminary 30 minute phone interview today and most of it focused on that last job.

I didn't say anything bad about the company and put the blame on myself, saying that they had different goals and team atmosphere than what I was expecting and that this had caused personality conflicts amongst the employees, so it was mutually agreed that I leave. I ended it by saying those things happen and it's time to move on.

As usual, this man had to know specifics, which I felt uncomfortable giving out. I mentioned instead that I had letters of recommendations and an award from the other jobs and that this was not indicitive of my normal working relationships. Right away, I could tell in his voice that he wasn't interested.

I haven't committed any criminal act on the job. We just had different viewpoints, which got out of hand. I assume that this is pretty standard in any business. People do argue. My problem is that I can't get past that.

BTW, I like the statement "it was a newly created position that wasn't clearly defined and the office had difficulty with the transition. This created some confusion on my part, and with the company." I will try it out and pray that I am not asked to give examples. Hopefully I can get through this.

Thanks again.

phyllialobster1

Here's an update.

I went to an interview yesterday at an insurance agency. They said they want me to start on Monday. Even though I don't have an insurance background, they said that they would pay for my classes to get a brokers license. It will be a good experience for me, since I don't know anything about insurance, even the basic terminology.

And, I am getting paid at the same rate of pay that I had at the second to last job, which is perfect for me. A major step up from the last job.

Thanks again for the help.

Sockeye

phyllialobster1 said:
Here's an update.

I went to an interview yesterday at an insurance agency. They said they want me to start on Monday. Even though I don't have an insurance background, they said that they would pay for my classes to get a brokers license. It will be a good experience for me, since I don't know anything about insurance, even the basic terminology.

And, I am getting paid at the same rate of pay that I had at the second to last job, which is perfect for me. A major step up from the last job.

Thanks again for the help.
Excellant! Good luck in your new job.

phyllialobster1

Here's an update since my last post. I have been on my new job, three weeks and two days.

First, I am the "office machine breaker.” Everything seems to stop working when I am around. Even if I don’t touch the machines, I always feel as if I will be blamed and try to defend myself. I have experienced more technical problems here than all my other jobs combined. Is this normal when you start a new job, or is it just me????

Secondly, I had to rush into "live training” during my first three days. The woman who was training me had to leave for school and had only this time to show me what to do. I picked up very quickly the different types of work that needed to be completed. I was able to bring them almost up-to-date in several areas. Technically, I was supposed to begin my training using their computer-training program and then pass a test for each of the various courses assigned to me. Because of the heavy workload, I was able to complete only a portion of the computer-training program so far.

Of course, I am making many mistakes on my work (things not gone over in detail during my live or computer training). The office manager does tell me what I am doing wrong so I try to absorb as much information as I can now, so I won't make these same mistakes later on.

I can’t help feeling very bad. Another woman that started Tuesday is training on the computer first and not through the “live training” as I did. She has a very strong advantage over me, because she knows what mistakes to avoid by listening to me get corrected all the time. This is going to make her job much easier when she starts her live work.

I plan to stick with this job as long as they will have me, but I just hate making a bad first impression on a new job while another employee gets lucky avoiding all the pitfalls that I am getting myself into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">