• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

INVASION OF PRIVACY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ORBITRON

Recently, a co-worker of mine was arrested for stealing. I associated with this person because he worked in my general work area and because nobody else would, because of his rumored sexual orientation. During the investigation, this person was placed under visual surveillance and his phone was tapped. I have reason to believe that I was subjected to this same type of surveillance. I work for a government entity, that has a law enforcement arm, so this type of thing happening is not out of the realm of possibilities. Is there any way that I can determine if my phone is being tapped and is there any legal recourse? I reside in the state of Tennessee.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Not really. Employers, especially law enforcement and government entities, have free will in this area because they need to not only be considered about productive work practices but in this situation, security issues, as well. As long as this stuff is not in the bathroom, be reassured there is not much you can do.

My suggestion, don't make private phone calls at work. Bring along a cell phone and take a break and make a call.

Private emails: keep them few and far between and very limited in length and topic.

S

Serious

MY question is similar- I work for a private non-profit in Minnesota. I thought it was illegal for an employer to have hidden cameras without employees knowledge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">