• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It's ok for an employer to hire and fire if the reason is not ligit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Catwoman_20082001

If an employer has the right to hire and fire you then why is it that they can fire you for nor real reason.Saturday May the 19,2001 I walked into work never being late,never missing a day and my supervisor and my manager pulled me into an office and said that I was fired.They gave me no reason and no one to call to get a reason.Now the reason they say cause my termination I think was unfair and just out right wrong.They said that I was fired because of unprofessional behavior and that I was writing notes to another team mate that they felt as thought it was inappropriate and that I didn't fit in. How can you or I dictate that cause is just. I am in springfield,mo and this is twice I have let employers say that I don't fit in. You tell me is this a ligit reason to loose your job. In springfield there are not a whole lot of jobs who will hire a single parent. i am asking for your advice.

M

mochiebi

How long were you employed?
How long were you employed at the other job you mentioned?
Were you ever counseled or warned before being let go?
What does the employee handbook state are terminable offenses?
What did the notes state?
What specifically did they mean by fit in: give me an exapmle?

If you were inside of your 90 day introductory period, they could potentially do this. However, if they stated inappropriate phrases like :fit in, etc....you may have a case.

Another suggestion would be to pin point the actual behavior that would prevent this from happening again.

Have weekly meetings with your manager (not supervisor) on your progress. This gives them an opportunity to tell you any areas that they are concerned with. If they tell you everything is okay, and then let you go, you have a case.

ALawyer

Absent an employment contract or a union agreement, in most states any employer can fire anyone at any time for any reason, or no reason at all, UNLESS it is being done on the basis of something that is prohibited by law, such as race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, veteran's status, disability, etc. Sometimes employers use a pretext to hide their illegal intent, and if this is a pattern, you may have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">