• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Abolishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prego

I work in New York City as an Executive Assistant for a prestigous Investment Banking firm. Prior to the Sept. 11 terrorist attack, the stock market was not doing well, therefore, the Firm's revenues did not meet expectations. My company abolished approximately 10% of its workforce in April 2001 and now the Firm plans to job abolish at least 15% of the Securities Division within the next 8 weeks.

I just learned that I am 6 weeks pregnant. I have a history of miscarriages which my managers and HR personnel are aware of. I was on a disability leave for 31/2 months beginning January 2001 and returned in April when I learned of the cutbacks. My ob recommends that I go on disability leave, at least until I'm 14 weeks. However, because of my history and early stage of pregnancy, I prefer not informing anyone of my pregnancy. I will do anything to have a healthy pregnancy, but feel confused. My husband and I spend according to our two-income status and if I am without a job while pregnant, it will add a financial strain on our budget. He says we should do what is best for our family and I should not worry. We have waited a long time to start a family, but we never imagined I could be out of work while pregnant. Waiting for the announcement is stressing me. Will my disability leave harm my status at the Firm. If I'm on a disability leave, will it protect my job? Can the Firm still abolish me on a leave? Should I take my chances and stay with the Firm and not inform them of the pregnancy until I have reached a safer milestone, like 16 weeks? After all is said and done, the Firm can decide to keep me. Help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">