• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job applicants vs politics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmnc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

My son (19 years old) applied for a DPW job with our town. He was interviewed by the head of the DWP and was told he wanted him for the job. It had to go to the Mayor and Council for approval. If approved he would start July 5. The Mayor wouldn't even put the recommendation on the agenda due to "lack of support from the council" (quoting the mayor). I, personally, have some political differences with the Mayor and some of the council members, which is a know fact, and because of this they won't even consider my son for the job. Can they hold these differences against my son who has nothing to do with these political differences?

nohr4u1yr

As long as...

As long as they are not discriminating against your son based on race, age, religion, color, gender, national origin, veteran status, marital status, disability or other characteristic protected by law. They can do whatever they want. It's unfortunate but it's not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">