• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job application questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buttler

NY

If a company's policy requires potential employees to pass a background check before they can be hired, and will not hire anyone who doesn't pass the background check.
and
If the normal turnaround time for a background check is approximately 2 weeks.

How can that company turn around and dismiss someone for not passing the background check after they were hired, 8 weeks later?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Buttler said:
NY

If a company's policy requires potential employees to pass a background check before they can be hired, and will not hire anyone who doesn't pass the background check.
and
If the normal turnaround time for a background check is approximately 2 weeks.

How can that company turn around and dismiss someone for not passing the background check after they were hired, 8 weeks later?

My response:

Easy. They say, "you failed your background check and you're fired." See how simple that was?

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because you are in an at-will state and the law permits them to fire you at any time and for any reason not prohibited by law. Just as the law permits you to quit at any time and for any reason at all.

The law does NOT say that they have to fire you the minute the background check hits their desk. Besides, if the AVERAGE turn around time is two weeks, that means that half of them don't come back till later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">