• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job application rules.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

john85

What is the name of your state? Texas
I do not wish the company I am about to be hired by to contact my most recent employer. I left the previous company two weeks ago and started another job, but indicated on my application that I am currently employed by the previous company, not the current one. In the industry I am in, leaving a new job this soon or not being employed at the time of interviewing is looked down upon. On my application there was a box that you could check stating that the hiring company could not contact my current employer. Of course I checked it. So I am wondering the laws about contacting current employers after I said they could not. Can the hiring company go back and contact my previous employer after being hired. I don't want to loose both jobs, and I do realize what I am doing is not right , but the other position I am more qualified.

Thank you.

Beth3

There are no laws. The employer is free to comply with your request or disregard it, although the great majority of employers will not call an employer's current employer without their consent.

The bigger problem you have is that you lied on your application form. If the prospective new employer finds out about that, they may well reject your candidacy or fire you after you are hired.

J

john85

another question

would they not research this before they hire you or until after the job offer is made?

Beth3

If they are interested in your candidacy, they certainly will conduct reference checks before they extend an offer if they are a responsible employer but that does not necessarily uncover any falsifications.

How this kind of thing is frequently uncovered is after you start, a manager at your company will run into a manager from one of these other two companies at a conference, a business meeting, or even a backyard barbeque. One will say, "Hey, I heard john85 is working for you guys now." "Yep, he started with us last month as an XXX." "You know, we sure weren't happy when he upped and quit to go work for you folks after just being with us for four weeks." "Huh? We didn't know he was working for you." "Oh yeah, he came to us from ABC company and quit after just a few weeks to go work for you guys." When the manager from your company gets back in the office, he contacts HR, they readily verify that you falsified your dates of employment and employment history and the next thing you know, you're on the unemployment line and now there are three companies in your industry that won't touch you.

This may seem like a little white lie to you but the consequences can be quite significant. Whatever industry you are in, I assure you it's a much smaller world than you think. Managers and executives from competing or neighboring industries frequently are acquainted, often well-acquainted. Often they've worked together earlier in their careers at the same company.

I don' t know what the outcome of your particular situation will be but I can tell you the odds for a happy outcome for you are not in your favor.

J

john85

Thank you Beth. I can see it a little differently now. I appreciate your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">