• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobotAwesome

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hi,

I signed up to work with a company who is a contractor for the cable company Comcast. However, they seem to have some shady business practices and I am considering working for another company doing the same job selling Comcast services. However, the contract I have signed has a non-compete claus written into it. Specifically it states:

That for a period of one year the independent representative will not:

"Sell, solicit, or accept business or orders, from existing or potential customers of the Company within the Independent Representative's sales territory as described in a paragraph 2, with respect to product or services similar to or competitive with the company or its subsidiaries or

Interfere with, disrupt or attempt to disrupt relationships, contractual or otherwise, between the company and/or a subsidiary, and its customers, employees, Independent Representative and/or vendors.

The Independent Representative further agrees that for a period of one year after termination of the contractual relationship, the Independent Representative will not, on behalf of anyone engaged in a similar line of business, directly or indirectly, solicit business from any of the Company's customers or potential customers......"......yadayadayada.....

Under Remedies for Breach of Contract it states:

The company may be able to recover "by means of an accounting, any profits the Independent Representative may have obtained in violation of this contract".

Oddly enough it also says under governing law:

"The contract shall be governed by the laws of the State of California. The state courts of the State of California located in Sacramento County, California shall have jurisdiction over any dispute which arises under this contract, and each of the parties shall submit to and hereby consents to the Sacramento County, California state courts' exercise of jurisdiction. In any successful action by the Company to enforce this contract, the Company shall be entitled to recover its attorney's fees and expenses incurred in such action."

So my questions are: Can they legally have the state of California be the ruling party if the contract is signed and the company is operating out of Washington (it operates out of Cali as well)? My guess is that Washington state law prevails over any contract signed in Washington. If this is so does this mean the contract is void or just must follow Washington law? Would they really be able to enforce the non-compete claus? A friend was telling me about Washington states law 'right to work' may not allow them to enforce that. Anyone know? There are several other companies providing the same services and none of them have any "trade secrets" or has any claim to any specific jurisdiction over potential customers.

Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

No one can give an opinion on a contract they have not read in full. You need to take your contract to a local attorney for review.

RobotAwesome

anyone else? to be honest I don't have money to go to a local attorney and mostly interested in just knowing how enforceable the contract is. I read on a different post that employment law does not apply to independent contractors. Does anyone have any resources on washington or california contract law with independent contractors. I don't mind doing the reading myself just don't know where to find it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I'm not going to write what I originally started to.

You are evidently under the impression that there is a law out there somewhere that says, A contract can/cannot be enforced if X happens or under Y circumstances.

There is no such law.

ONLY an attorney who has read every word of the contract and who is located IN YOUR STATE can tell you if the contract is enforceable, because it is the EXACT wording of the contract that determines if it is enforceable or not. There is nothing inherently illegal about having CA be the ruling law even if you are in WA since the company also operates of out CA. ONLY the EXACT WORDING of the CONTRACT ITSELF will determine its enforceability.

NO ONE who has not read it can say if it is enforceable.

ecmst12

Especially because the enforceability of non-compete contracts are largely determined by local case law.

Spend the couple hundred bucks for a real professional opinion, or risk getting sued later, your choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">