• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Eliminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lyd682

What is the name of your state? California

I had emergency surgery a few days short of my 1 year anniversary with my company. After my return, Human Resources called to say since I had not been terminated and that they were happy to extend FMLA benefits to me.

My new boss came to my house the next day to tell me that was a mistake and I had to be terminated, but was eligible for rehire. She said there were no plans to fill my position and my staff was assured over and over that I would return.

Four weeks later I received a letter from her (unsigned?!) that all along they had been reviewing my job and decided to eliminate it.

They have not told the staff that my job was eliminated. I believe they are waiting for me to get a new job so they can fill the position. Is this legal.

L

Lyd682

Jetx: Since I got only one reply last time, I undid that thread and summarize my situation more clearly. I believe you did not respond last time. Not a lot of compassion on your part.

JETX

Check again. I did respond with:
"No. There is no obligation that they make an offer to you..... even with 'subject to rehire'."

Pretty hard to add 'compassion' to a fairly simple issue.

Beth3

Plus the law has nothing to do with compassion. It has only to do with the law.

In any event, your employer can fill your job any time they want to. Despite what most people seem to think, there is no proscribed period of time an employer has to wait to hire a replacement when someone is terminated or their job is eliminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">