• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job eliminated after company buyout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thumper1

What is the name of your state? Texas...

I live in Texas, but my company was based in Utah.
My Business Unit in a big company was sold to a company based out of Canada 3 months ago. Becasue of the buyout, 5 people's job were eliminated. Mine was one of them. During the call with our HR rep, when we were told our jobs were eliminated, they said the reason our job was eliminated was due to a overlapping of staff.
Now 3 months later this new company, hires new employees to replace my position.
Can I sue my company for wrongful job elimination? I believe the 5 of us were fired because of misinformation that was given to the new company by my old boss. And it was my old boss that had a grudge with all of us. All of my job reviews were good and had good job performance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, based on what you have posted you have no legal grounds to sue. They can decide who to let go by pulling names out of a hat if they want to; nor does the law require that they rehire you before hiring someone else if they find that they eliminated too many position and they need to re-implement them.

Have you called them and told them you'd like to be reconsidered for the job?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">