• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Elimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkondas

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NC
After working on the same job for 12 years, I was told that my job was eliminated. I was given a 3 month severance package. In order to receive this severance package, I had to sign a waiver of rights, which basically said I would never take legal action against the company for any reason.
The following week another fellow was put in my office, naturally with a different title.
So, it appears that only the Job Title was eliminated. The duties & tasks of the position, still had to be carried out by someone.
So, here we are 4 years later & the company just hired somebody new, to fill the postion, that I held previously, which supposedly had been eliminated.
Can I do anything? I had a considerable drop in income as a result of all this, not to mention the burden it placed on my whole family.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Quite often, a position has to be eliminated for financial reasons, but the duties are still needed and are given to other employees. That's not illegal.

In any case, if this happened four years ago, you've long since passed the SOL for any legal case, even if you hadn't signed the waiver (which, by the way, is SOP and quite legal).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">